Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Grow herbs, not grass

Grow catnip, not grass.
The other day, my wife and I were over at Vitamin Cottage (Natural Grocers), and I was looking at the small bags of herbs that they were selling. And discovered that catnip was selling for twenty dollars a pound. Given the size of the baggie, each offering I do to Bast--which gets eaten by the cats--runs for about five dollars. Good thing that I am growing my own.

One of the things that I have been doing as a long-term project is ripping up large sections of my lawn because I do not need that much lawn; and let's be honest, it still mainly weeds from the previous owner. Instead of grass, I am busy planting herbs. There are some that argue that we should be planting vegetables instead of grass, and I see their point. But in terms of return for my investment (time and energy), herbs are the best bet. Seriously, go look at the prices of herbs at the grocery store and tell me that tomatoes are a better investment.

If you want to see some pictures of the work that I am doing in my yard and garden, check out my Occupy Garden 2013 picture album on Facebook.

2 comments:

Fr. A. said...

I thought grass and herb were synonymous! LOL

Anonymous said...

I came to the same conclusion--that herbs are much more cost-effective to grow than veggies--after trying valiantly to grow veggies in my increasingly shady yard here. I noticed on your photos page that you remark that the squirrels will eat your strawberries. I grow these and other berries (currants, gooseberries, raspberries, blackberries) and have found that bribery is a concept squirrels well understand. I buy a big sack of black sunflower seeds every season and every morning put a big scoop out for the squirrel mafioso under their favorite tree. Since I have been doing this, I have had no squirrel predation of my garden at all. You can get black sunflower seeds at a good price at places like Tractor Supply.